Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Kindness comes in many forms

I try to be kind to others in my life. I give, without expecting anything in return, and I smile at strangers readily. My life has had it's challenges, the same as most people's lives.

I don't dwell on the bad things that have happened though, instead I focus on the good things. Every day that I can wake up and get out of bed is surely a good day!

Many people I know think I'm wonderful, because of my attitude to the things I have in my life. But I'm just an ordinary person, living my life in the best way possible. There are many people out there, having to live with things so much worse than what I live with.

I've just finished reading the memoir of a totally amazing young man. He is profoundly disable, unable to do for himself most of the things needed in life. He is one of the most positive people I know though, living his own life in the best way he can too. 

The young man is Philip Eling, and his memoir is 'Life is What You Make It'. I've met Philip several times now, and the more I see him, the more I'm thrilled to be his friend!

The reason I'm writing this blog post is to celebrate the life of a wonderful person, and also to meet an obligation I have. I connected on Facebook with a group which is promoting the idea of doing small kindnesses. I have included a link here, telling you about it. http://www.writingourwayhome.com/2012/11/small-kindnesses.html

Being kind to others is a gift that gives back to you. I may have said this on this blog before, but it's worth repeating it. Even a small kindness like smiling at someone can do immeasurable good. It's free, it feels good, and it's good for everyone involved!

I'm going to post the link here to the publisher of this book, and I strongly recommend you check it out - you'll be amazed at the strength of character of this young man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment